Know what to do if you've been injured.
Unfortunately, more people are turning to using space heaters to heat up a small room but this could lead to catastrophic injuries if you are not careful. Space heaters caused up to 79% of home heating fire deaths and up to 32% of home heating fires in recent years.
There are three primary risks associated with space heaters particularly if the item is defective. In the event that you or someone you know has been injured after using a space heater that was defective, you may have grounds to pursue a product liability claim against the manufacturer or designer.
Are you using a space heater to keep warm, but you don’t know the risks? Perhaps you’ve been experiencing strange symptoms like headaches or nausea and you can’t figure out why, or you’re worried that your space heater could cause an in-home fire. If so, read on to learn more about some of the most serious dangers with space heaters and why you need to keep an eye on these devices to prevent injuries.
A heating coil inside the space heater could lead to significant injuries if it gets too hot or damages floors or other furniture or blankets around it. If possible, try to use a space heater that has a stand that does not get hot.
The second common issue associated with space heater injuries has to do with fires. Even if the heater has a heating unit typically covered, there is still a risk that it could spark a fire. This is why it is important to always keep an eye on a space heater when it is plugged in and working. The cord can also overheat. Individuals may not even notice this problem because the cord is not part of the heater itself but it is a good idea to check on the cord on a regular basis to ensure that it is not exposed and leading to potential injuries.
The third common issue associated with space heater injuries has to do with carbon monoxide poisoning. Most of these products on the market today are powered by electric. However, there are still others that make use fuel to produce continuous heat and this could contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning if you are using the product in a small and closed area or if it was manufactured defectively and producing carbon monoxide at a high level.
Carbon monoxide from a fuel heated space heater could injure you, your pets or your family. Make sure that you always have a carbon monoxide detector inside your home installed and that you check the batteries on a regular basis to make sure that it is functioning. This could be critical to avoiding injuries and becoming aware of this serious issue as soon as possible.
If the device is defective and causes injuries, you need a personal injury lawyer to help you.